- How to create a message bar
- How to edit a message bar
- How to delete a message bar
- How to copy a message bar
- How to view message bar reports
You can create online message bars, even targeted to a certain visitor segment, to communicate important alerts, announcements, ads or links to your visitors.
- Place a full-width bar at the top of your page
- Control the position, layout, and color scheme to suit company branding
- Target specific messages to a variety of visitor segments
- Choose a call for action - redirect the user to another page or show the user a survey
In the main Message Bars dashboard under Visitor Engagement, you can view the status of each message bar and filter message bars by status (active / inactive) and by visitor segments.
Message Bars main user interface
- In the main Message Bars user interface, click Add Message Bar.
New message bar dialog
- In the General Details dialog, enter the Message Bar Name.
Select where should this message bar appear - select the website item in which the message bar will be displayed. You can enter * to display the message bar on all pages of your SharePoint environment.
Show message bar on any sub-page in this section - Show message bar on all page URLs beginning with this URL address
Message bar status - Choose whether or not to activate the message bar immediately.
Select who should see this message bar - select the visitor segment for which the message bar will be displayed. You can select "Anyone" to display the message bar to all visitors. For more information about visitor segments see "How to create Visitor Segments".
Select how often to show the survey:
- Show as long as visitor has not clicked or closed message bar
- Show message bar even if visitor already clicked or closed it
- Show message bar even if visitor already clicked or closed it (once per visit)
Select when should this message bar be prompted -
- When the visitor is part of the selected visitor segment
- When the visitor is part of the selected visitor segment and he/she moves the cursor towards the browser close button
- When the visitor is part of the selected visitor segment and he/she scrolls down the page
Message Bar General Details dialog
- In the Settings dialog, select the message bar position on the SharePoint page.
Push page down - select whether to display the message bar over the page or push the page down.
Select when to show the message bar - immediately / after x seconds / after 1 minute.
Select when to hide the message bar - never / after x seconds / after 1 minute.
Make message bar closable - Choose whether or not the visitor will be able to close (minimize) the message bar.
Select the tab position - Choose where to position the close (minimize) button.
- In the Appearance dialog, select the message bar text style and color palette on the SharePoint page.
- In the Content dialog, enter the message that will appear on the message bar (limited to 85 characters).
When selecting a call for action, you can take further actions (such as redirecting the visitor to a different page or a survey) when the visitor clicks on the message bar. If you do not want to take further action, select no call for action.
Select the call for action behaviour and enter the call for action text that will appear as a link on the message bar.
When selecting redirect the user to a different page, enter the page URL (or select it from the Object Explorer by clicking on the "..." button) that the visitor will be redirected to after clicking on the message bar. Select Open in a new window in order to open the page in a new browser window.
When selecting show the user to a survey, select the survey that will appear right after a visitor clicks on the message bar. For more information see "How to create a survey".
Select enable segmentation based on this message bar if you want to create a segment for visitors who clicked on the message bar. For more information about visitor segments see "How to create Visitor Segments".
- Finally, you may preview and save the message bar you have created.The preview feature is also available in the main Message Bars UI after creating the message bar.
In the main Message Bars user interface, click on the message bar you wish to edit.
Edit Message Bar
- In the main Message Bars user interface, click on the message bar you wish to delete.
- Click on Delete in order to delete the message bar.
Note: message bar reports will be deleted as well.
Delete Message Bar
- In the main Message Bars user interface, click on the message bar you wish to copy.
- Click on Copy in order to copy the message bar.
Note: the copied message bar title will be "Copy of ..." and the message bar status will be Inactive.
Copy Message Bar
In the main Message Bars user interface you can view message bar reports.
The information displayed is the total number of views, the total number of clicks and the click through rate (CTR).
Message Bar report
In order to erase the message bar reports (and not the message bar itself) do the following:
- In the main Message Bars user interface, click on the message bar you wish to erase the reports for.
- Click on Flush in order to erase the message bar reports.
Note: The message bar itself will not be deleted.
Erase Message Bar report